Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Guide to Irishisms, By an American for Americans

Several people told me when I left for this whole Irish "adventure" they would love to read about my experiences on my blog.  Well, the move was adventurous, but in a crazy, scary way that doesn't make for great reading.  So here I am, several months later, ready to do a little bit of blogging about my experiences here.  Being the language nerd I am, I have decided to give you an overview of Irish-isms, strictly from my own point of view based on my own experiences.  This guide in no way reflects an accurate or comprehensive definition of such terms. Use at your own risk.

Tanks a million: (phrase) "Thank you very much."
Ex. "The lift is down the hall to your right."
      "Tanks a million."

Banjaxed (Adj.): Really screwed up.
Ex.  "My piece of shite car is completely banjaxed."

Chicken (Adj.): Term of endearment for a small child.
 Ex. "Would you like a sweetie, Chicken?"

Your Man (Noun): A man one doesn't know personally or whose name one can't recall, but it is understood whom one is referring to.
Ex. "So what what did your man say about the car?"

Jeannie Mac! (interjection): An expression of surprise or disbelief.
Ex. "Jeannie Mac, it's going to cost that much to fix?!"

Grand (Adj). 1. Good 2. OK 3. Not great, but endurable
Ex. "How are you today?"
      "My husband left me this morning, but sure, I'm grand"

So (conjunctive adverb, or some such):  Expression that connotes a question about finality, often used where an American would say "then."
Ex. "Are you ready to go, so?"

Half-five (Time): 5:30.  But really, 5:45-6:00.
Ex. "I'll call round at half-five, so."

Lovely Day (Greeting): Hello.
Ex. "Lovely day today, isn't it?" (See also: Terrible day)

Toilet (Noun): Bathroom.
Ex. "I'm going to go to the toilet and be right back."

Bold (Adjective): Naughty.
Ex."Those bold boys got what was coming to them!"

Kind regards (??): Polite closing to a letter or email similar to "sincerely."
Ex. "Kind regards, Johanna B."

Regards (??): Closing to a letter or email implying "Fuck off."
Ex. "The principal will answer your enquiry in due course. Regards, School Secretary"

5 minute walk (Noun): 15 to 20 minute walk.
Ex."Sure it's just down the road, a 5 minute walk"

Bye-bye bye bye bye (interjection).
"Goodbye" in a polite telephone conversation.  Ex. "That's grand, so.  Talk to you soon. Bye-bye bye bye bye."

No comments:

Post a Comment